Blog

Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tips for Motivation

  I'm getting excited for this wonderful running season!  The weather is finally getting warm, the flowers and trees are in bloom, the birds are out chirping along the way, everything makes you want to run.  But some days no matter how beautiful the weather, I find myself unmotivated to go out.  Sometimes it means that I need an unexpected rest day but sometimes it means I just need to find ways to motivate myself.  So after doing some research, I found this wonderful article from Runner's World.  So I've picked y favorite motivation tips!
    1. A new pair of shoes - What runner doesn't love a brand new pair of shoes to break in?  There is just something about a new pair of kicks that make running that more enjoyable!
   2. Forget Time - This one I often find to be a chllenge.  Every time I go running it seems to turn into a competition with myself, How fast was I going, How far did I go, What was my pace?  While this can be helpful to know for training purposes, it is ok to run without clocking yourself.  You run will be more enjoyable.
   3. A Rockin Playlist - This I have found is crucial to any run.  Studies have shown that music does impact one's workout.  I have found that the Super Mash Bros., have great cds, their songs seem to blend effortlessly into the next, and as a result you aren't mentally counting songs, you are just running.  Plus the upbeat and up tempo songs can actually get you to run faster!
     Runner's World Suggests songs for many genres:
        Rock: "Don't Stop me Now" - Queen
                 "Break on Through" - The Doors
                 "Gimme Shelter" - Rolling Stones
                 "Come Together" - Beatles
                 "What Do You Do for the Money Honey" - AC/DC
     Country: "Cocaine Blues" - Johnny Cash
                 "Ain't Goin Down (Till the Sun Comes Up) - Garth Brooks
                 "Wide Open Spaces" - Dixie Chicks
                 "Chasin' That Neon Rainbow" - Alan Jackson
                 "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" - Charlie Daniels Band
     Hip Hop: "If I Should Die" - Jay-Z
                 "Get By" - Talib Kweli
                 "Let's Get Retarded" - Black Eyed Peas
                 "Lose Yourself" - Eminem
                 "Bombs Over Baghdad" - Outkast
                 "Get Low" - Lil Jon
                "Caught Out There" - Kelis
    Alternative Rock: "Beautiful Day," U2

                "Run in Place" - The Nadas
                "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
                "Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
                "Get Free" - The Vines
                "Just (You Do It to Yourself)" - Radiohead
  Guilty Pleasures: "Good Vibrations," Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
                "Toxic" - Britney Spears
                "Lovefool" - The Cardigans
                "Flagpole Sitta" - Harvey Danger
                "Fergalicious" - Fergie
4. Buddy Up - By finding a running buddy, you are less likely to skip out on  run, especially if your buddy is relying on you!  I have found this to be very true with running with my Dad.
5.  Run Trails and switch up your runs.  If you are running the same area all the time, it is likely that you will become bored!  Try MapmyRun.com for new places to run!
6. Run for a Reason!  If you have a specific reason to run, you will hold youself accountable and you won't miss a run!
7. REMEMBER YOU ALWAYS FEEL BETTER AFTER A RUN THAN BEFORE - as long as you stay injury free! ;)
8. Keep a Log of your runs, and periodically look back.  Are you going to feel guilty seeing a 0 on one of your days?

Lesson: There are many ways to motivate yourself, find what works the best for you! Don't be afraid to try something new!

Rocking Out to: Leavin' by Jesse McCartney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading Running Design! I'd love to hear from you with tips, suggestions or your stories about running and design!