Blog

Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Why not?

Its that time of year when I get the emails from the Chicago Marathon, trying to convince me to run again this year. I did it the first time in '08, one of those random challenges I decided to take on, I trained completely by myself, and ran it completely by myself. Even though my brother-in-law and Uncle were running it too. Result: I finished the marathon with an ITB injury I sustained around mile 16 or 17, but I was determined to finish it no matter what. I went a long time without seeing my family cheering me on and when I finally saw them at 23, I broke down and started bawling because of the pain. My little sister jumped in and ran the last 3 miles with me.. well if you could call it running at that point. But I finished:


Then came my second Marathon in '09, I don't want to toot my own horn, but I apparently inspired my family members to get in to it and as a result my Dad and older sister decided to run it. I hit a lot of road blocks with this one too, I hurt my back, as well as my knee over the summer during the critical training phase. It was about 5-6 weeks out and I wasn't going to run. I was devestated, I was so excited to be able to run with my Dad and my sister. So I told myself I was fine and did it any ways. The result: I once again finished and once again had an injury. But more than anything I learned a really important lesson: I could do it if I really set my mind to it, especially with the amazing support of my family.

So I'm sure some of you are thinking that I'm crazy to be considering doing it again after having multiple injuries and no decision has been made. But I am determined to complete the marathon without an injury and to get that time that I truly deserve! So if anyone out there wants to register.. Here is the link:http://www.chicagomarathon.com/cms400min/chicago_marathon/

1 comment:

  1. Don't run it this year. Spend your time resting and training this year and run it in 2011. Small runs this year are going to be key.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading Running Design! I'd love to hear from you with tips, suggestions or your stories about running and design!