Blog

Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Workout Tip Tuesday: Interval Running

   As many of you know, I got into running in college and it has stuck with me ever since, but I've suddenly had the realization that running was a HUGE part of my life before then even though I didn't really notice it.  I played soccer pretty much since the time I was 5, typically playing the Midfielder position, which requires A LOT of running!  But this position also requires a variety of running speeds, which seems to be my forte much more than running at a incredibly consistent pace!
 
  My Dad is one of the most consistent runners I know - he can say he's going to go run 6 miles at a 10 minute pace and I know he will be home in 60 minutes.  I am not like that at all. In fact, when we train together he often refers to us as the Tortoise and the Hare - me being the Hare.  Not really the nicest comparison but I get it. I vary my speed all the time!
Found these statues in Boston, when I visited my sister last summer - had to take a pic for Dad!
     Lately however, I seem to be doing more and more treadmill workouts due to my crazy allergies. Treadmills can be great, but they can also be incredibly boring, so I often find myself figuring out ways to spice them up, which leads me to the Interval Workout!

    I stumbled across this great interval workout on Pinterest (follow me) the other day and have completed it a few times.  I have to give you fair warning however... it is INTENSE, it made me sweat more than I probably ever have before at the gym and gave me a huge sense of accomplishment when I finished it!


     The thing that is important to remember for this workout is that you need to adjust it to fit yourself.  If you have never, ever run at a 9.0 on the treadmill, then you shouldn't attempt it for your first time doing this workout.  The 9.0 should be equivalent to your fastest speed on the treadmill, where you feel like you are at a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 for exertion.  If that means that for you that is a 7.0 on the treadmill, work backwards from that point to get the proper increments.  As you become better and stronger you can change the speed at each increment to challenge yourself.

 Try it and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and reading Running Design! I'd love to hear from you with tips, suggestions or your stories about running and design!