It's hard to believe that 2015 is already here! How does time go by so fast?? For New Years Eve, I went out with my bestie to a bar downtown - we had a great time and as always it was a fun way to ring in the New Year. My siblings were teasing me though with my simple 2015 fb post; "Dear 2015, I love you already!" They of course thought that something ridiculously EPIC happened on NYE - which didn't - my response to them was that 2014 was pretty much a horrible year for me, so 2015 has to be better right?
I started really looking back on my year - alot of things happened, both good and bad:
- I was unemployed for 7 months
- I then landed a Part Time job on a trial type basis and then was fired after 4 months
- My nephew/godson was born
- I started a new relationship and then that ended
- I traveled to Connecticut and visited some relatives over the summer
- I completed my first 1/2 Ironman
- I took the Cross Country Team to State for the 2nd year in a row
- I traveled to Connecticut for a second time
As I started thinking about all these things that happened this year, I suddenly realized - wait a minute - there were way more good things that happened to me than bad. All at once I realized that actually my year was pretty good, kind of a roller coaster, but like any other year the obstacles and joys help to form me into the person that I am today. Sure, if I had my way, I would have enjoyed a year without any major struggles but through this year I learned lessons like:
- One person's negative opinion doesn't rank higher than multiple people's positive opinion
- Despite struggles and moments of failure - my family still loves my unconditionally
- You can never make every single person happy
- What's truly important is constantly trying to do your best and give it your all
While 2014, wasn't what I was expecting, looking back on it - I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. They have helped me to be a stronger more loving person today - and to me, that is a successful year! Now 2015 has officially started, I know that it will be a year with new adventures, new obstacles and new struggles. I have no idea what this year holds for me, except for a new job and pursuing my first Full Ironman Race - I am excited to see where this year takes me.
May 2015 be a year full of joy and happiness that far outweighs the obstacles and struggles of your life!