My top 10 list of lessons that Runner's should know:
1. Start Slow - Both with Speed and Mileage! If you start slower then you won't burn out and you can slowly get faster each mile. It's important to build up mileage but to do so slowly so that do not get injured!
2. Make a Plan and Stick to it - Decide which days you are going to run and stick to it! You will develop the necessary determination and perseverance to stick to your schedule and your training plan!
3. Take a Rest Day - It's important to let your body rest and recover in order to heal your muscles
4. Listen to your body - There is a fine line between soreness and pain. It's important to know the difference!
5. Mix it Up - It's important to add variety to your run, change up the location, the running surface, incline, speed to make it more fun!
6. Cross-Train - This is extremely important and it doesn't have to be boring or a strict weight lifting plan, make it fun, do something different, like a Hip Hop class, Zumba, playing a pick-up game of your favorite sport. You'll end up working different muscles and gain overall strength.
7. Just DO IT! - Do you have a race that you've been eyeing for a while but haven't signed up for? Just do it! You don't know if you can or can't do something until you try, so just sign up already! You can do anything you you really set your mind to!
8. Have a word/phrase or power song to help you push through - Mine? Phrase, "I can go the distance!" Power Song, "Here we go" by Nsync
9. Reward Yourself - Set-up a reward system for yourself for achieving your goals, whether its a new song from Itunes or a new pair of shoes. It helps keep you accountable!
10. Reach High and Set new goals - always challenge yourself to hit your goals and once you do, set new goals for yourself!